Tuesday, February 24, 2009

A pronunciation activity: the unvoiced "th"

Venting: Why is it "pronounce" and "pronunciation"? Shouldn't it be pronounce/pronounciation or pronunce and pronunciation? Why pronounce/pronunciation? English is the pits! I teach this language and spelling sucks. I used to be such a good speller before learning Spanish and moving to Chile. I now feel for my friends who had a hard time spelling back in the day (and probably still). Vent over with.

This activity takes 45-60 minutes, I find. I generally break it up during 2-3 class periods, but go with what works for you. This lesson plan is for intermediate/advanced students.

Go to this site and download the pdf version of the unvoiced "th" (Unit One: th as in think, bathroom, teeth). Strangely, the answers weren't included, but I've written them up. We'll see if I can upload them to this blog.

At some point in the activity, towards the middle or end, play "A Boy Named Sue", a Shel Silverstein/Johnny Cash song. Give your students these lyrics. All the unvoiced th words are left out. They must listen to the song and fill in the lyrics.

As a follow up the next class, my student and I read "The Father of A Boy Named Sue". It's not as good as the first song, but entertaining, just as well. The only musical version of this song I could find is with Shel Silverstein singing it. Oh my Lord! He has a HORRRRIBLE voice. I don't recommend listening to the song. Just read the lyrics.

Okay, I need to figure out how to upload word documents to my blog. Is this possible?

Edit: So I tried installing a program that would let me do this, and my compu wouldn't let me do it. I do plan on figuring this out.

The three word documents I want to put on here are:
1) the unvoiced th answers
2) lyrics to A Boy Named Sue (with the unvoiced "th" words missing)
3) lyrics to The Father of a Boy Named Sue

3 comments:

  1. I love your blog, so helpful!

    If you need to upload some documents, I might recommend www.esnips.com where you can upload documents and link them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried esnips.com. It looks great! Unfortunately my window's installer isn't working. Cuak! So I do plan to fix it. When I do, I will install the esnips software for my documents and upload them to this site.

    ReplyDelete