Wednesday, February 4, 2009

a list of ultra-useful EFL resources and whatnot

  • Getting started? This Peace Corps Book helped get me oriented. It's a good overview for EFL teaching as it is self-described "EFL teacher boot camp".
  • Here's a book by a Chilean military guy. (Se nota.) It is super useful for classes, with concise units packed with important grammar, exercises and answer key. I later found this book's "segunda ediciĆ³n" on the internet, where it corrects some errors in it. But now I can't find it. Anyway this is useful because you can print the lessons right off the internet and so can your students.
  • Bomb pronounciation resources: pronounciation packets, click on PDF and print. Just that easy. Send link to students so they can use audio and speaking on their own
  • Reading materials: TIP OF THE DAY: print a story off The Onion to read with your class. They are freaking hilarious, like this one which we read in a class today!
  • Other reading materials: The New York Times articles are a bit long at 2 pages usually, but they are interesting. The Minneapolis Star Tribune seems to have shorter one-page articles.
  • American idioms can be found here and here.
  • EFL blog entry on best EFL texts for teachers Of these, I bought:
  1. Practice English Usage by Swan (a grammar reference book). I have yet to use it, but I'm glad I have it and I'm sure it will come in handy in the future. I have and love these books:
  2. Understanding and Using English Grammar by Schrampfer Azar and
  3. Grammar in Use - Intermediate by Murphy.
  4. Also, to add to the list of best texts: Prepositions Explained. This one is a bit theoretical. It's not designed for class use. But it is sooo useful for explaining prepositions to students. Hence the name.
  5. Pronounciation Pairs by Ann Baker and Sharon Goldstein. This one is useful because the site listed above only deals with some of the consonants and vowels. This book seems to have them all.
  • This Purdue sight has some pretty good info. For example here it explains phrasal verbs. Although, I wasn't impressed by it's info on prepositions, for example. But they hit the nail on the head from time to time
  • About.com is useful for EFL as well.
more to come...

1 comment:

  1. Oh man I've been struggling to teach phrasal verbs...that site is the clearest one I've seen yet! Grax :)

    ReplyDelete